Thursday 5 January 2012

New treasures for 2012

After a few fruitful visits to a local salvage yard the week before Christmas I had quite a collection of very unique items!

Here are a few:

Various aircraft components

Jet engine capping

Few bits of a wing

This last year has been quite a steep learning curve in the world of becoming self employed. I started working for myself about 18 months ago after deciding that my perfect career doesn't exist, therefore I must invent my own. A burning desire to create fantastic things was responsible for my naivety. My business had to start somewhere, so for the majority it has been functioning as a metal fabrication company, something that I only envisaged for a short while in order to get off the ground. So far I haven't been totally unsuccessful and have survived the tricky 12 months everybody goes on about.

Thankfully my creativity never died in the cold grey world of metal fab but grew from the repression. I'm beginning to question the finer details of iconic pieces and what makes us warm to them. This is something I've never understood and maybe I never fully will, but at least I can hope to capture some of the essence of what makes a piece work!

Getting back to the point... I've become fixated on salvageable components and I'm intrigued by the term up-cycle, however, up-cycling may be a by product of what I'm trying to achieve with certain items but I feel its more than just finding a different use for something that already exists. I'm trying to change the way that an object typically of an industrial origin is viewed and appreciated. Therefore I'm using the term Industrial revival, I'm not sure if this exists but its the best way I can describe what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment